With contributions from Ed and Bob-

There really is no mystery to 1968 Shelby power steering hoses. They are very similar to standard Mustang hoses with a few minor exceptions. Here we can take a look at these hoses.

I will add more pictures and information in a future update.

Until recently, power steering hoses have been difficult to find. Originals are usually very expensive and there were very few quality reproductions.

These two short hoses are found under the car. All Shelbys use the same two hoses. They connect the control valve and the power steering ram. The two hoses may look the same, but they are actually different. The original part numbers are C60Z-3A714-A and C60Z-3A717-A. The numbers stamped on the hoses should read C60A-3A714-A and C60A-3A717-A.Some versions of this hose have three large ribs, while others have smaller ribs around the hose.

All cars use this return hose regardless of engine size. The return hose is a low pressure hose. It can be identified by the nipple on one end. Fluid is returned to the control valve through this hose. One end is connected to the control valve. On a 1968 Shelby, the other end is clamped to a hose that runs up to the power steering oil cooler. It is part number C8ZZ-3A713-A . The number actually stamped on the hose is C8ZA-3A713-A. Because this hose hangs under the car, it has an armor wrapping.

All cars also use the same lower, high pressure hose. The lower hose has a nut on the end. This hose also has an armor wrapping. It is part number C7ZZ-3494-B and stamped C8ZA-3494-A.

The main difference between big block and a small block power steering hoses is this hose. It drops down off the back of the power steering pump and connects directly to the C8ZA-3494-A hose. The big block used part number C8ZZ-3A719-A. The hose is stamped C8ZA-3A719-A. The 1968 hose does not have armor. The 1967 and 1969 hoses are actually different lengths, so make sure you use the 1968 hose. 1968 Shelbys do not use the power steering pump indexing bracket.

The small block used a different hose. It is part number C7ZX-3A719-A. It does not have an ID stamping on the hose. The hose is actually longer than the big block version.

Two sections of "bulk" hose -3A005- were also used on a Shelby. These hoses are used to run the fluid through a small oil cooler located on the front of the radiator support.

Here is that oil cooler. It has the ID number C6AA-3D746-A. These are usually available online for less than $125, because they were used on other Ford products.

The power steering pump has a HBA-BH identification tag on the back. The power steering pump is most commonly painted a teal color. The teal pump is a Ford-Thompson pump. The spray cans available from most catalog vendors have gotten very close. The dipstick tube should be painted all the way to the top. Some pumps were sourced from TRW and were painted black. On the TRW pumps, the tube has a small unpainted area at the top.

Four different power steering pulleys were used. . The ID '6AA' is used for big block, non-air conditioned cars. The ID 'AF' is used on big block, cars with air conditioning. GT350s use the '7AE' pulley for non air conditioned cars. The '7AD' was used on the air conditioned cars.

The correct pump will have a return nipple that is turned upward to facilate the oil cooler hose. This case was also used on Ford trucks. You should be able to put together a correct looking pump for less than $200.